Saturday, July 23, 2011

Walter Benjamin: And You'll See All Of What You Know In A New Way.


Français : Walter Benjamin en 1928
Français : Walter Benjamin en 1928 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


I’m an Italian web developer who one day met Walter Benjamin by watching this documentary. Since then is no more possible to see/use/think/write/do history or photography (my other main interest) the traditional way I was used to do.
The change I happened in my view is easier to depict the same way (maybe) Walter Benjamin himself would use; his quotations:

All efforts to make politics aesthetic culminate in one thing, war.
In the fields with which we are concerned knowledge exists in lightning flashes, the text is the thunder rolling long afterwards.
History breaks down into images not into stories.
Quotations in my works are like robbers by the roadside who make an armed attack and relieve an idler of his convictions.
The third Reich is a train that does not leave until everyone is on board.
The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that the 'state of emergency' in which we live is not the exception but the rule.

Many are the questions those statements give arise; now I see some answers in my daily life!

That documentary has inspired me to share it with more and more peoples. In order to reach a wider audience (deaf, non-English etc.) I decided to start a search for (inspired by the documentary) volunteer available to write down the dialogues that will be available every time it will be shown.



Untitled from g. c. on Vimeo.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

RSS Subscription

RSS Posts link: http://cyphersnap.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

RSS Comments link: http://cyphersnap.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default?alt=rss